Regiment History

 

January 1946 - December 1968

January 1946              

1st Australian Armoured Car Squadron  raised – vehicles are Staghound Armoured Cars and Canadian Scout  Cars

 

30 March 1946    

Sqn sails from Sydney for duties in the British Commonwealth  Occupation Force. Duties are to guard the Imperial Palace and patrol Skikohu Island.

 

18 December 1948      

Sqn embarks at Kure for return to Australia.

 

March 1949            

War office in London agrees to the early allotment of Centurion tanks.

 

7 July 1949         

1st Armoured Car Sqn renamed 1st Armoured Regiment.

 

June 1950              

Australia asked to provide armoured support in Korea, however the ageing Churchills are not considered fit for service.

 

1951

Centurions start to arrive.

 

30 June 1951                  

Alliance is established between 1st Armoured Regiment and the Royal Tank Regiment.

 

Late 1951            

Centurions involved in Tropical trials in Cairns and later Manus Island.

 

June 1952

Centurions issued to the Regiment.       

Personnel strength increases. RHQ,HQ and B Sqn’s raised. Additional order for a further 71 Centurions placed.

 

September 1952              

Nucleus (N) Sqn raised and sent to Holsworthy the basis for a proposed 2nd Armoured Regiment.

 

1953

The Regimental Cap Badge introduced.

 

August 1953             

Two soldiers inebriated and abscond with a tank. After missing a gear change they career through B Sqn lines and are subsequently Court Martialled.

 

1953/54               

B SQN hangar built in the vicinity of Armoured Centre. A Sqn remains in Range Camp Location.

 

January 1954              

1st Armoured Signal Troop disbanded and absorbed back into Signal Corps.

 

24 February  1954

Royal Parade in Melbourne

 

1954                       

Nuclear tests carried out at Maralinga. Tank suffered external damage and is drivable.

 

1954

Recce troop Raised

 

30 November 1954

3Tp, B Sqn led by LT A.D.Wells wins inaugural Paratus Cup.                          

 

1954                       

Capt. Crighan overshoots into P &EE  Graytown Hence its well known Folly.

 

Early 1955           

Soldiers are given permission to wear civilian clothing when leaving the barracks         

 

Jan 1955              

1st Armoured Signals Troop re – allotted to the Regiment.

 

April 1955              

‘N’Sqn demonstrates the Centurion to the press.

 

May 1955            

‘N’Sqn officially return to Puckapunyal after the intention to raise a 2nd Armoured Regiment is cancelled

 

May 1955           

Regiment is bought up to strength.

 

1955     

Regiments erects camp site for the World Scout Jamboree at Wonga Park   Melbourne.

 

1955

Regiment Equipped with Saracen APC’s

 

1956

Further liberties granted to soldiers. Soldiers permitted to go on local leave without signing in and out.

 

6 February 1956

The Governor General Sir William Slim Presents the Regiments Guidon on a Regimental Parade in Puckapunyal

 

August 1956

Regiment involved in flood relief on the Murray flood plains.

 

December 1956              

Regiment is presented a commemorative medal in appreciation of assistance given during the Melbourne Olympic Games  

 

1957

On the initiative of the director RAAC and with the support from the Regiment and RAEME a repair and spare parts plan designed to combat the declining state of the tanks. Track mileage rather than the strength of technical staff is now used to gauge servicing requirements.

 

Jul 1958

Regiment mounts a guard of honour for the Melbourne opening of Parliament.

 

May 1959

EX ‘Grand Slam’ in Mackay.  Jungle warfare EX in conjunction with 1st Infantry Brigade. LTCOL Maxwell plays the part of a three star enemy General.

 

15 Sept 1959

Regiment moves into Kapyong Barracks.