Robin James (Jim) IMLACH OAM, passed away on Wednesday 16 October 2019 aged 72 years

Robin James (Jim) IMLACH OAM, passed away on Wednesday 16 October 2019 aged 72 years Jim was born on 9 August 1947 in Launceston, Tasmania. He was called up in the National Service draft in May 1968. He completed recruit training at 2nd Recruit Training Battalion (Puckapunyal) on 10 July 1968, allocated to the Armoured Corps and trained as a Centurion Tank driver at Armoured Centre between July and September 1968. Jim then spent the next seven months with the Regiment preparing and training for Vietnam. He was posted to Detachment 1st Forward Delivery Troop, Nui Dat on 9 April 1969 and just over a month later was posted to B Squadron on 18 May. He remained with the Squadron until it was redesignated as A Squadron on 23 December 1969 before returning to Australia on 25 March 1970. Jim was married to Brenda in 1970 and over the years they had three (3) sons. Petr, Brett and Julian. After discharge Jim returned to work in the local sawmill and eventually became self-employed as a contractor. Jim was continually active in his local communities serving on many committees as well as being the Captain of the local fire brigade for around 25 years. After retirement and a move to St Helens, Jim was active with marine rescue keeping all boat engines in A1 condition as well as participating in many rescues. Jim was a volunteer driver of the Community Car and regularly drove patients to hospitals and medical appointments in both Hobart and Launceston. He was also heavily involved with Legacy, with 38 widows under his wing, and the RSL and Vietnam Veteran groups. Jim was never shy and was always the first to put up his hand. After he and Brenda moved to Perth (near Launceston) he joined the Launceston Support Group where he mowed lawns for those in need as well as maintaining the lawnmowers and chainers for the Group. Jim was awarded the Medal of the Order of Australia (OAM) in the Queen’s Birthday Honour List is June 2013 for service to veterans and their families, and to the community. During his last holiday to England he was diagnosed with a brain tumour that later took his life after returning to his beloved Tasmania. May he rest in peace in the green fields beyond. Prepared by Russ James from information provided by Defence Records and Brenda Imlach